Survey: Only 27 Per Cent of Companies in Canada are Acing Employee Recognition

Toronto, ON — Are today’s workers getting the recognition they deserve? Just over one-quarter of senior managers (27 per cent) in Canada think they’re nailing employee recognition, new research from staffing firm OfficeTeam shows. For the remaining 73 per cent, there is at least some room for improvement.

With Administrative Professionals Week approaching, on April 21-27, many support staff may be wondering if they’ll receive special acknowledgement for their contributions. The odds are in their favour: 66 per cent of senior managers said their company coordinates some form of employee recognition during the event, with gifts and office celebrations being the most popular methods. However, over one-third (34 per cent) indicated they don’t do anything to acknowledge their staff.

Senior managers were asked, “How effective do you think your company is at recognizing employees for good performance?” Their responses:

Very effective

27%

Somewhat effective

53%

Not too effective

16%

Not at all effective

    4%

 

100%

 

Senior managers were also asked, “How does your company typically recognize administrative staff during Administrative Professionals Week?” Their responses:*

Offer a present such as flowers or a gift card

32%

Organize a celebration or lunch at work

31%

Praise them during a staff meeting or other public forum

25%

Provide a handwritten thank-you note

22%

Bring in an educational guest speaker

11%

Do not recognize administrative staff

34%

*Multiple responses were permitted.

“More managers need to recognize the importance of employee recognition in establishing a satisfied, motivated and loyal workforce,” said Koula Vasilopoulos, a district president for OfficeTeam. “Regularly saying ‘thank you’ or offering small tokens of appreciation can speak volumes and have an incredibly positive impact on overall team morale.”

Employers that excel at recognition often combine formal programs with everyday gestures of gratitude, added Vasilopoulos. “Things like peer appreciation programs, small gift cards for a job well done or giving kudos at a staff meeting are simple, cost-effective ways managers can show they care and value their staff’s contributions.”

View an infographic of the survey results.

For ideas on showing appreciation to staff during Administrative Professionals Week or year-round, view a tip sheet of 20 Easy Recognition Tips to Help Employees Work Happy.

About the Research

The online survey was developed by OfficeTeam and conducted by an independent research firm. It includes responses from more than 600 senior managers at companies with 20 or more employees in Canada.

OfficeTeam

OfficeTeam, a Robert Half company, is the nation’s leading staffing service specializing in the temporary placement of highly skilled office and administrative support professionals. The company has 300 locations worldwide. For additional information, visit roberthalf.ca/officeteam. Follow roberthalf.ca/blog for career and management advice.

Availability Status

Let us know you're ready to work with one click.

Update My Status

Set Your Status

Click the blue button on your profile page at least once a week to keep your status set to Available.

Set Your Status

Your status will automatically change to Idle and Unknown over time, so update it weekly while you’re looking for work

Update My Status