A director of finance is responsible for financial forecasting and planning. The position generally requires at least 10 years of experience in accounting or finance. Strong leadership, technology, analytical and communication skills are a must.
Previous experience in public accounting is highly valued. A bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting is required, and a master’s degree in business administration (MBA) or a professional designation such as a chartered professional accountant (CPA) is preferred.
Typical Duties of a Director of Finance:
- Overseeing insurance and risk management
- Maintaining budgeting and forecasting models
- Performing financial modeling and analysis
- Assisting with business funding decisions
- Hiring, training and retaining skilled finance staff