Lawyer Job Description:
Lawyers play many different roles in the practice of law but they typically work in either a law firm or corporate legal department.
Lawyers are required to have an LL.B/J.D. and an applicable provincial bar license to practice law.
Lawyers also need excellent analytical, communication, diplomacy, legal research and writing skills.
Typical Duties of a Lawyer:
- Researching and analyzing the law on complex issues and writing briefs for submission to a supervising lawyer
- Appearing in a court of law, arbitration or other judicial tribunal, as well as presenting well-reasoned statements to the judicial body
- Analyzing and summarizing complicated legal documents, including contracts, and suggesting alterations to those documents
- Negotiating with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes, including settlement conferences
- Anticipating and mitigating potential legal problems — and developing strategies to avoid costly litigation and reduce potential areas of risk
- Performing due diligence in legal matters concerning contracts, agreements, and mergers and acquisitions
Robert Half's team of experts are among the best legal recruiters in the industry. Upload your resume or tell us your hiring needs if you are looking to hire lawyer.