Controller Job Description:
Controllers must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills. Candidates should demonstrate knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), accounting standards for private enterprises (ASPE) and/or US generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). The role usually requires at least seven years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. Many organizations prefer candidates who have a master’s degree in business administration (MBA) or a professional designation such as the chartered professional accountant (CPA) designation. Previous experience in public accounting is highly valued.
Typical Duties of a Controller:
- Planning, directing and coordinating all accounting operational functions
- Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results
- Coordinating and preparing internal and external financial statements
- Coordinating activities of external auditors
- Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process
- Managing the budget process
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes
- Evaluating accounting and internal control systems
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Developing and monitoring business performance metrics
- Overseeing regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
- Hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff
Robert Half is one of the leading accounting staffing agencies in Canada. Upload your resume or tell us your hiring needs if you are looking to hire a controller.