Applications Architect Job Description:
Applications architects require a high level of technical expertise, combined with excellent planning, coordination and communication skills, and the ability to work on teams.
Practitioners must have experience with relevant development tools and specific application and system architecture, in addition to a strong understanding of object-oriented design.
A bachelor’s degree in computer science or information systems is normally required, and a master’s degree is highly desirable.
Employers seek a minimum of five to eight years of related work experience and often look for software skill sets such as AJAX, C#/C++ and LAMP.
Expertise in the design, development and deployment of enterprise-level N-tier architecture in a Microsoft .NET Framework or Java Enterprise Edition platform may be required.
Typical Duties of an Applications Architect:
- Designing major aspects of the architecture of an application, including components such as user interface, middleware and infrastructure
- Providing technical leadership to the application development team
- Performing design and code reviews
- Ensuring that uniform enterprise wide application design standards are maintained
- Collaborating with other stakeholders to ensure the architecture is aligned with business requirements