One of the most common ways today's job seekers uncover employment opportunities is by using online sources. There are hundreds of job boards, both generic and niche, as well as aggregators, social media channels, networking groups and staffing company websites to choose from. The good news is they provide plenty of listings. The bad news is you can be easily overwhelmed by so many options. How can you find the best job search websites for you?
We think we can help. Here are 10 of what are generally considered the best job search websites around, arranged in alphabetical order. There are many others, of course, but this list should give you a good starting point for your next job hunt:
- CareerBuilder – No list of best job search websites would be complete without this entry. CareerBuilder is one of the biggest job boards, and its robust search function allows you to filter by several criteria, including location, degree required and pay range. CareerBuilder partners with news media around the country and collects job listings from them. It also provides career advice and resources for candidates.
- Eluta – Eluta is a Canadian search engine that features job postings from more than 10,000 employers’ websites across Canada. Eluta provides links back to the original employers' job postings. Candidates can sign up for email alerts that notify them of new jobs that match their search criteria.
- Indeed – A huge aggregator of postings from across the Web, this site consolidates listings from many job boards in one place. It also compiles information from various company career pages and allows you to search locally or globally.
- Jobboom - Jobboom is Quebec's largest recruitment site and offers services in both official languages. This website allows candidates to post their resumes on the site and apply for jobs directly or reply to job offer broadcasts, which are sent instantly via e-mail to selected applicants. Jobboom also offers career guidance, as well as articles on topics such as self-learning, market trends and hot career paths.
- LinkedIn – This top networking site enables you to find jobs through your extended network. Additionally, you can join groups, participate in conversations and follow companies you find interesting and relevant to your job search.
- Monster – This massive job site is aptly named because it includes one of the largest number of job listings of any website. It also allows you to upload your resume and offers networking boards, as well as a search alert service so you can get targeted posts delivered via email.
- Neuvoo - Launched in Canada in 2011, is now available in 7 countries between North America and Europe. Neuvoo is a job aggregator that indexes jobs directly from companies' career websites, placement agencies and job boards. This site is available in both French and English and allows you to upload your resume for hiring managers and recruiters to search.
- Robert Half – Why is our own site included in this list of best job search websites? Because, by visiting roberthalf.ca, you can search thousands of job postings from the companies we work with around the world. Many of the opportunities we offer are exclusive to Robert Half and can't be found elsewhere, online or off. We also offer job search and career advice, a robust library of workplace research and information about what it's like to work for Robert Half.
- SimplyHired – This search engine offers an email alerts service and lets you save your job searches. Candidates can sort their searches to focus on companies that hire college graduates, have a high rate of diversity and abide by eco-friendly practices, among other criteria.
- Workopolis – This large site offers weekly job alerts, job search advice, a resume builder and, of course, job postings. It also allows you to upload your resume for hiring managers and recruiters to search.
After exploring the above list of the best job search websites, you might consider registering with more than one site since each offers a slightly different experience and list of benefits. Good luck!