Posted by Robert Half on June 1, 2017 - 10:25 | Follow me
How awesome is it to be an experienced web developer right now? It could be an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Why are web developers so popular? With the proliferation of mobile devices, consumers and companies are moving online, and web developers build and optimize websites.
They also take app ideas and create actual software. And it probably doesn’t hurt that there aren’t enough of them to go around.
Check out the regional in-demand tech positions across Canada.
Web developer salary is going up
Starting salaries for these IT pros are projected to increase 1.8 per cent in 2017, with compensation ranging from $77,500-$107,500.
You can use our Salary Calculator to adjust an entry-level web developer salary for your city.
Want to know what it takes to join this cadre of coders? Here’s a web developer job description:
- Gather business requirements and develop specifications for web-based applications
- Providing technical assistance to web administrators
- Integrating websites with back-end systems such as databases
- Writing test plans and test results
Here’s a broad list of qualifications:
- In-depth knowledge of Internet protocols and applications in addition to a solid understanding of business strategy
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work both individually and as part of a team
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, plus several years of web-related experience. Work experience can sometimes be substituted for the educational requirement.
Wanted: web developers who code for life
And the requirements don’t stop there. Top web developers live and breathe coding. They’ll often spend 60 hours a week coding at work, and 30 more coding on their own.
In addition to information on a starting web developer salary and job description, you’ll find information on starting compensation for 70 IT jobs in 150 North American cities in our Salary Guide: